A fever is a natural beneficial function of your body to fight off invading organisms when the primary lines of defense, you immune system, fail? So many people misunderstand fever and believe it to be dangerous, which is primarily due to our “take a pill for everything society” created by physicians and big pharma. Your body raises its temperature because most infectious organisms cannot survive this environment; the ideal temperature for fighting infections is between 102 and 103 degrees F. The problem is, just as our bodies our doing what’s needed to eradicate the infection, we self medicate with, or worse yet give our children, anti-pyretic drugs like acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and aspirin by themselves or in combination.
It’s very important to think of a fever as a healing process. And contrary to popular belief, the best action is almost always little or no action. Rather than trying to lower a fever through medication, try to work through it and allow it to run its course. To support a fever Colleen Huber and other naturopathic physicians recommend consuming liquids such as broths and water until the fever breaks. The body slows down the movement of food in the gut (peristalsis), so avoid solid food. Another and perhaps most important recommendation to support a fever is rest. Activity uses the body’s essential energy needed to fight invading organisms, and hinders the immune function.
The benefits of a fever:
• Directly kills invading organisms through heat.
• Stimulates antibody production more specific to the infection than any antibiotic.
• More interferon is produced to block the spread of viruses to healthy cells.
• Stimulates production white blood cells which mobilize and attack invaders.
When to seek medical attention for a fever:
• Anyone with a temperature above 104.5 degrees F.
• Infants <1-month old, with a temperature >100.4 degrees F. ...